Welsh-Ryan Arena, the home of Northwestern University's basketball, volleyball and wrestling teams, was transformed prior to the 2018-19 basketball seasons as a result of a complete facility renovation.
A leadership gift from Patrick G. and Shirley W. Ryan, along with a $10 million gift from Stephen R. and Susan K. Wilson, donations from other loyal Northwestern benefactors and the existing athletics maintenance and equipment budget, funded the $110-plus million project.
The project, part of the 2010 master athletics facilities plan recommendation, entailed a complete renovation of Welsh-Ryan Arena and McGaw Memorial Hall. The updated facility features:
- New seating throughout the arena, with chair-back seats replacing existing wood bleachers
- Wider, more accessible concourses with improved lighting
- Improved accessibility for the mobility-impaired, with five new elevators
- New restrooms, including the addition of accessible family restrooms
- New concession areas along with new food and drink offerings
- State-of-the-art lighting, audio and video capabilities in the arena
- Premium seating areas and expansion of hospitality spaces
- Expansion of the building lobby
- A new ticket office
- New locker rooms for men's basketball, women's basketball and volleyball