Welsh-Ryan Arena, the home of Northwestern University's basketball, volleyball and wrestling teams, is being transformed as a result of a complete facility renovation. Construction will be completed by fall 2018.
A leadership gift from Patrick G. and Shirley W. Ryan, along with a $10 million gift from Stephen R. and Susan K. Wilson, donations from other loyal Northwestern benefactors and the existing athletics maintenance and equipment budget, is funding the $110-plus million project.
The project, part of the 2010 master athletics facilities plan recommendation, entails a complete renovation of Welsh-Ryan Arena and McGaw Memorial Hall, including:
- New seating throughout the arena, with chair-back seats replacing existing wood bleachers
- Wider, more accessible concourses with improved lighting
- Improved accessibility for the mobility-impaired, with five new elevators
- New restrooms, doubling the number of toilet fixtures as well as the addition of accessible family restrooms
- New concession areas along with new food and drink offerings
- State-of-the-art lighting, audio and video capabilities in the arena
- Premium seating areas and expansion of hospitality spaces
- Expansion of the building lobby by nearly 50 percent
- A new ticket office
- New locker rooms for men's basketball, women's basketball and volleyball
Learn More about the new Welsh-Ryan Arena
“The new Welsh-Ryan Arena will be a dramatic transformation for our varsity sports programs that call it home and for the fans who devotedly support our student-athletes.”
– Jim Phillips, Combe Family Vice President for Athletics and Recreation
For more information about making a gift to support the renovation of Welsh-Ryan Arena, please contact Fred Smith at 847-467-5256.